Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I thought Atiku was Yar'Adua's Enemy

Former Vice-President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, on Sunday said he remained a member of the Yar’Adua family in spite of what his detractors might think.

Abubakar spoke at a wedding reception held in honour of his son, Aminu, at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers, Abuja.

The former vice-president said what was between him and the Yar’Adua family was strictly a family affair.

He said “Between me and my younger brother, Umaru, it is strictly a family affair interlopers should steer clear.

Abubakar said from his experience, all kinds of people milled around public officers in power but soon disappear when such people leave office. He expressed gratitude that his case was different.

He said “With what I have seen between yesterday and today shows that I have not lost my friends. My friends are still with me for this I remain grateful.”

The former Vice-President, who was flanked by his wife Titi, wife of late Maj. General Shehu Yar’Adua and other political associates, also said the family bond that existed between his family and the Yar’Adua’s was beyond what their enemies could understand.

He admonished the bride and the groom to respect one another as they go into the marriage institution. Abubakar singled out the wives of two former heads of State, Mrs. Maryam Babangida and Mrs. Maryam Abacha for honouring his invitation.

He said the gifts brought by Mrs. Babangida left him speechless. Those who attended the wedding, former governors including: Alhaji Abubakar Audu, Boni Haruna and Asiwaju Bola Tinubu among others.

No comments: